Thursday, September 15, 2011

Italian cake TRILECE


A couple of years ago me and my husband then fiance went to vacation in Saranda, Albania. The road was terrifying they were building some new road and we went through some sidetracks and traveled in the car for about 8 hours. But when we got there it was the most amazing little town. The food, more particular the fish, in the restaurants was fresh and tasty and very cheep. I don't know how we got in this beautiful hotel to have a dessert and the waiter there suggested we have this cake that we couldn't understand the name. But it was the most tasty, moist cake we have ever tried and my husband nor I couldn't get it out of our head. And finally talking with some pastry chef here I found the name and through web search the recipe. So here it is my somewhat modified recipe for my husbands favorite cake :)

TRI LECE (Three milks cake)

Ingredients for the sponge:

6 large eggs
300 gr. sugar granulated
400 gr. flour type 400 ( it's regular flour)
vanilla to taste
10 gr. baking powder

Ingredients for the icing or topping ( I don't know the exact term in English but from the ingredients included and the instructions I think you'll get the idea):

500 ml. milk cream
2 l. whole fat milk
400 gr. milk powder

First of all divide the yolks from the whites and whisk the whites with a hand-mixer adding the sugar and vanilla slowly when the sugar is all melted slowly add the yolks. After that start slowly adding the flour and the baking powder in it. Beware of lumps. When it's all combined pour it in well greased baking dish and put it in the preheated oven. I baked it on 150 C around 20-30 min. my oven gets very hot and the recipe was 200 C, which I think it will burn the cake. After that cool the cake on a rack.

Tip: Best to tell when a cake is baked when the sides of the cake will separate from the baking pan.

 When the sponge-cake is cooled get it of the pan and in the pan pour the cream than return the sponge-cake back in the pan so it can absorb the cream. While the cake absorbs the cream whisk the powdered milk with small amount of the milk and the rest of the milk heated but don't bring it to boil and after that combine the two milks and pour it on to the sponge-cake. Beware of lumps.  Leave it to cool cut it in pieces and enjoy :)



I used 2 l. of milk like it was in the recipe but it is way to much I think 1 l. it will be enough but 400 gr. of powdered milk stays. For more creamy taste. You can serve it with caramel sauce.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry for the upside-down photo but sth went wrong with the upload.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for the recipe, I was looking for it :-) we tasted Trilece in Montenegro for the first time and it is really a good one!

    ReplyDelete